Tuesday, August 9, 2011

A blackberry-orange morning.

I'm not the kind of girl who drinks a lot of smoothies. You won't find me at the juice bar every morning and if you suggest a smoothie place for lunch I'll probably order a sandwich. However, warm summer mornings when it seems like there hasn't been a temperature below 80 in a month, I love a simple smoothie for breakfast.

Simple is the key here. I started making smoothies during high school over summer break and back then my smoothies were just frozen fruit, milk, and a little sweetener. I think the beauty of a smoothie is the fresh flavor and how quickly they come together so adding ingredients by the dozen doesn't do it for me.


That all being said, I hadn't made a smoothie in years because... I didn't own a blender. You heard me right: I didn't own a blender. It's not that I didn't want a blender. I did. But between my tiny grad student salary and life expenses (like conference travel) I couldn't justify the money so when I saw something that requires a blender (ultra creamy soups, milkshakes, smoothies) I turned away. Needless to say, when we unwrapped the blender we got as a wedding gift, I nearly jumped for joy!

Okay, back to the smoothie. This frosty cup of berry deliciousness won't leave you starving by 10 o'clock and is highly adaptable to whatever you have in the kitchen. If you're missing any ingredient you can probably find a suitable substitute in you kitchen, such as milk instead of yogurt or any fruit juice for the OJ. I want to stress that making a smoothie should be as easy as drinking it so feel free to swap whatever suits you or your pantry. You don't even have to measure if you don't to, although that can lead to gigantic smoothies (not that I know from experience...).


Blackberry Orange Smoothie
Adapted from Mad Hungry by Lucinda Scala Quinn

Makes 2 small servings or a generous serving for 1

6 ounces of plain yogurt
3/4 cup frozen blackberries
1/2 cup orange juice
1 tablespoon honey
3/4 cup ice

Put all of the ingredients in a blender and blend until smooth.

No comments:

Post a Comment