Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Perfect breakfast potatoes.

Jared and I absolutely love home fries and hash browns. However, ordering them out can be very hit and miss. When they are right, they're crispy on the outside, creamy on the inside and perfectly seasoned. But all too often we find ourselves with a plate full of undercooked, soggy potatoes with no seasoning whatsoever (is a little salt too much to ask?).

Why do we order them, time and time again? Clearly, we are tuber masochists. Every time I make them myself I think, "I should do this more often! These are the potatoes I seek every time I go out for brunch!" The trouble is, I generally just make these when I have leftover potatoes. Do as I say, not as I do, and buy some potatoes for this purpose. You will not regret it.

You might even invite over a small, furry dining companion who loves potatoes and chicken sausage. Or, you know, friends who are people that will eat with utensils and not steal your food off of the table.

Breakfast Potatoes
Adapted from Barefoot Contessa Family Style by Ina Garten

Notes: As I said before, I usually make this with leftover potatoes when we get a 2 lb bag of those baby red skinned or Yukon Gold for roasted potatoes with dinner. However, you can definitely use full sized boiling potatoes, like Ina Calls for in this recipe. I never peel the potatoes but you can if you like. Also, although I had parsley and scallions on hand, you can definitely makes these potatoes without and they will still be delicious. Finally, I cut in in half-ish, but feel free to scale it up. Just be sure to use a pan large enough that the potatoes will brown, not steam.

Serves 2

3 tablespoons unsalted butter
1 lb boiling potatoes, 1/2 inch diced
1 chopped yellow onion
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1 tablespoon chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 tablespoon minced scallions

1. Melt the butter in a large skillet over medium-low heat. Add the potatoes, onions, salt, and pepper and cook for about 20 minutes, turning every 5 minutes. The real key here is you want to potatoes to brown and the onions to caramelize, so it you start turning at 5 minutes and they aren't browned, just wait. Your patience will be rewarded.

2. Once the potatoes are browned and cooked through (you can test with the tip of the knife, it should slide in and out easily), turn off the heat. Add parsley and scallions and stir. Serve the potatoes hot with sausage or a fried egg.

If you have leftovers, which is unlikely, these potatoes are fantastic in an omelet or frittata.




No comments:

Post a Comment